In the Definition Essay, the student uses his or her own, lived experiences, as well as their preconceived notions and opinions about something, in order to redefine a word, a term, or even a concept. The student writing the essay ultimately provides a personal commentary on a relatively ambiguous item, such as an abstract thing like “freedom” and ultimately explaining what the term means to them and, quite possibly, others.
Most people will agree on the definition of a physical object – like a cat, plane or book. Yet abstract terms (like love, pain, intelligence) carry different meanings and connotations to different individuals. The Definition Essay provides the student with an opportunity to share their personal, extended definition of something – which, again, can be a term, a word or a concept.
In this particular kind of essay, since the Definition Essay is personal in nature, and selected topic is generally based on the student’s need or desire to clarify it – to explain to others what it means on a deeper, more universal level. For example, if they feel that the word “marriage” should be defined in a limited manner (or, on the other hand, if they feel “marriage” carries more liberal implications), the student can explore the term in an essay, illustrating what the word truly means.
ABCEssays is a team of professional writers ready to help you with any kind of essay. Choose the topic from the list below or invent your own one, give your requirements and enjoy the result.
List of Topics for a Definition Essay
|Parenthood||Sensitive||Sense of humor||Thrill|
|Exciting||Rights to bear arms||Physical Fitness||Discrimination|
|Kindness||Generosity||A happy marriage||Peace|
|Sexism||Right to privacy||Friendship||Justice|
|Political correctness||Self respect||Gain||Athletic|
|Peer Pressure||Heroism||Perfection||American Dream|
|Violence||Ethics||Global warming||Sexual harassment|
|Evil||Racial Supremacy||Spiritual wellbeing||Rude, or impolite|
|Fashion||Pessimism||Ecstasy (the emotion)||Materialism|
|Argument||Torture||Renaissance Man (or Woman)||Civility|
|Agreement||Egotistical||Urban||Freedom of Expression|
When writing your essay keep in mind that you should know much about the concept you are defining. Spend several days gathering definitions from different dictionaries, then invent your own explanation of the given notion, don't forget to illustrate your essay with examples. Or just order essay that will cover all your demands here!
I have a very specific research paper guideline. Can my guidelines be followed?
View all questions
Celebrating 10 Years in Business! We offer:
- PhD-level professionals
- On-time delivery guarantee
- Automatic plagiarism check
- 100% authentic or your money back
- Customer information remains strictly confidential
A List of Effective Topics for Your Next Definition Essay
A definition essay is one of the easiest kinds of writing assignments that you might be given. To write a good definition essay, you should be able to explain the meaning of a word, phrase, or concept. It is similar to what you do when tell your friend about a concept that you have studied in class recently. However, it is harder to do the same in writing, therefore you should select a topic keeping in mind that you will have to write about a chosen term or concept. Generally, it is easier to write about real word concepts compared to abstract ones.
It is recommended to choose a topic that you are interested in. The list below contains various topics; you can choose the one that you want to focus your writing on.
- A good or bad supervisor
- Cancerogenic substance
- Capillary tension
- Common sense
- Foreign molecule
- Healthy lifestyle
- Optimism or pessimism
- Peer pressure
- Personal freedom
- Personal responsibility
- Phenomenon of convergence or divergence
- Right of property
- Right to vote
- Sense of home
- Surface tension
- The meaning of love
- The term ‘phase’ as it relates to heterogeneous mixtures
- Tricarbonic acid cycle
If you want to write an effective definition essay, you should remember the following details:
- Do not try to seem smarter than you actually are. Your explanation should represent an academic level you are writing at. Though you can use scholarly articles and outstanding date from the world leading labs, it is better to keep it simple.
- Make sure that you state in your introduction what term or concept you are going to explain next; do not confuse the readers.
- Take your time and choose clear and relevant information to develop your topic. You should pick reliable sources and provide chosen details in a logical manner.
- Consider your audience and use materials that the readers will understand. Your essay should help the readers learn more and find out some interesting facts about the subject.
- Create a clear essay structure. To do so, you should write an outline first, talk to your supervisor, and then start writing your text. You will save your time when you cite while you are writing.