Undergraduate upperclassmen and graduate students
(1) Returning university housing residents who participate in the USC Housing Renewal (UHR) program are assigned first. Within UHR, returning freshmen are assigned first and are guaranteed a space in housing for their sophomore year, followed by returning upperclassmen and graduates. Participants who are not able to obtain an assignment during the UHR lottery process may go on the UHR Wait List and will be offered housing before any other undergraduate upperclassmen or graduate students.
(2) Transferring undergraduates and new graduate students will be assigned on a space available basis, after housing has been offered to all those on the UHR Wait List.
(3) Continuing, non-resident students (students currently at USC but not living in university housing or who did not participate in UHR) will then be offered housing on a space available basis.
Because housing for new graduates and families is in very high demand, only those who apply early are assigned housing
New freshmen applying for the fall semester by the May 1 deadline are guaranteed a space in university housing. Housing is set aside and reserved for freshmen in order for USC Housing to provide this guarantee. What are the chances of getting housing? New freshmen applying by the May 1 deadline are guaranteed a space in university housing.
Because housing for new graduates and families is in very high demand, only those who apply early are assigned housing.
Students admitted for the spring semester are welcome to submit a housing application. The housing information and procedures presented on the Application and Contracting Procedures pages for new students apply to spring applicants, except for the important differences noted below.
All spring freshmen will be given a housing assignment. Unfortunately, we are unable to extend the same housing selection to freshmen entering in the spring as we do to fall students. The housing situation for freshmen in spring is based on:
- The number of students admitted to USC for spring semester
- The number of students who leave university housing during fall semester
Freshman housing is usually filled to capacity at the beginning of fall semester; only spaces that become vacant can be offered to freshmen arriving in the spring. The availability of specific housing types is difficult to predict, and it is often not possible to place applicants in their top preferences or with requested roommates.
Housing assignments for transferring undergraduates, continuing non-resident undergraduates, and new and continuing graduate students will be made on a space available basis. Availability of housing for these applicants depends on the number spaces vacated at the end of the fall semester.
Applications and Assignment
USC Housing accepts spring 2019 applications beginning July 2, 2018. If you mail your application, your application date is the date we receive your form in our office, not the postmarked date. (Applications received earlier than July 2 will be grouped with those turned in on July 2.) However, we recommend that you apply online. Due to high demand and the uncertain supply of housing space, you should apply early for the best chance of getting a housing assignment and the best selection of available spaces. We expect the majority of spring applications to be received on July 2.
Housing assignments for spring 2019 will be made in early December 2018. Assignments will be made based on application date, gender and availability. As described above, the availability of housing, especially spaces in freshman buildings, will be limited. Applicants will be placed in the space best matching their preferences that is available at the time their assignment is made.
As space allows, freshman admitted for spring will be assigned to available freshman housing. However, in order to ensure that they are offered university housing, most spring freshmen will be placed in non-freshman undergraduate buildings.
Students will be notified of their assignments by e-mail and directed to the USC Housing website to confirm their contracts.
Students assigned for the spring are not eligible for reassignment prior to Move-In but may request over the counter reassignment in mid-January.
Move-In Day for spring residents is January 3, 2019.
If you are planning on serving as a contract replacement for a current resident, you will find important information here.
|Application and Assignments Timeline Spring 2019|
|July 2||Spring 2019 Application Opens|
|Late November||Notification by E-mail of New Spring Assignments|
|January 3||Spring Move-In Day|
|January 9||Over the Counter Reassignment Begins|
|May 8||Check-Out Day for Academic Year (9 month) contracts|
|July 31||Check-Out Day for Graduate Full Year (12 month) contracts|