Skip to content

Pa 300 Unit 3 Assignment Complaint

Students who have grievances with actions, decisions, and/or processes at the University are afforded formal means for registering those complaints and for their complaints to be deliberated and acted upon by governing University officials. Details on specific types of complaints and related complaint policies and procedures are provided below.

Grade Appeals and Related Academic Grievances

Students who have a grievance against a faculty member or academic administrator regarding (1) an evaluation of their academic work (typically a grade given for an assignment or a final term grade), or (2) a related academic concern, including but not limited to academic registration, tuition and fee charges, etc., can participate in the formal appeal process established in their governing academic unit. Those policies are published on the websites of academic units (e.g.,, and are published as part of the academic catalogs of academic units, accessible via the following link: Appeals of an academic decision beyond the respective academic unit may be made to the Office of the Provost, which maintains records of the appeals and of the disposition thereof.

Non-Academic Grievances

The following grievance procedure, accessed via the student handbook, is available to students who feel they have not received fair treatment with respect to services provided by the University, outside of the classroom.

  • A student with a grievance should first notify the person or office responsible to seek a resolution. Such notification should be in writing and should be timely submitted.
  • If the student does not receive a satisfactory response within a reasonable period of time, but no later than ten days or less, he or she should notify in writing the director or dean responsible for the particular office or department. The dean or director will then be responsible for a reply within ten days from the day of receipt.
  • If the student still is not satisfied that appropriate action has been taken, he or she should submit his or her concern in writing to the appropriate Vice President. The Vice President will be the final arbiter of the problem, and will notify the Student of the resolution within ten days of receipt of the complaint. For further assistance, contact the Assistant Vice President for Student Development/Dean of Students.

Complete records of such grievances, and records of their disposition, are maintained by the Office of the Vice President for Student Development.

Student Conduct

Students are most broadly and commonly referred to the Office of Student Conduct to document a complaint involving the Student Code of Conduct. One definition provided in the Code outlines the following regarding complaints.

2.1.7 The term "Complaining Party" refers to any person or entity who submits an accusation that a Student violated the Code of Conduct. When a Student believes that s/he has been a victim of another Student's misconduct, the Student who believes s/he has been a victim will have the same rights under this Code as are provided to the Complaining Party, even if another member of the University community submitted the charge itself.

Once a student complaint is filed, if a determination is made that a student will be charged with a policy violation, the Office of Student Conduct will facilitate the hearing process. All documentation of student complaints entered through the Office of Student Conduct are recorded in the on-line database, Odyssey, and these electronic records are maintained beyond the required 3-year period of records.

Bias Incident Response Protocol

All incidents which would be determined bias-related or motivated will also be referred to the Bias Incident Response Protocol, which includes a public, electronic record of situation resolution.

Sexual Assault Policy

Specific information is provided for students regarding options for reporting sexual crimes via the Sexual Assault Policy. The Office of Diversity and Affirmative Action maintains internal logs to record and track complaints pursuant to the Sexual Assault Policy.

Policy on Harassment

The University’s Policy on harassment applies to students, as well as faculty and staff (information about the Policy itself can be found here:; additional information about the complaint process is here: In terms of "evidence that we receive, track and process student complaints in a timely manner", the Office of Diversity and Affirmative Action maintains internal logs to record and track complaints pursuant to the Policy on Harassment and the Sexual Assault Policy.

Registering a Complaint with the Higher Learning Commission

Saint Louis University is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC) of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools. Details about the University’s HLC accreditation can be found at this link:

Complaints about the University may be filed with the HLC. Information about the HLC’s complaint process can be found at this link:

Registering a Complaint with a State Board or Commission of Higher Education

In accordance with federal law (see 34 C.F.R., Section 600.9), Saint Louis University identifies the processes by which students may file complaints about the University with each U.S. state governing board or commission that governs University educational activity. A list of appropriate state boards/commissions, as well as contact information and links to pertinent websites, is provided below.

Alabama Commission on Higher Education
PO Box 302000
Montgomery, AL 36130-2000

Alaska Commission on Postsecondary Education
PO Box 110505
Juneau, AK 99811-0505

Arizona State Board for Private Postsecondary Education
1400 W. Washington Street
Room 260
Phoenix, AZ 85007

Arkansas Higher Education Coordinating Board
Arkansas Department of Higher Education
114 East Capitol Ave
Little Rock, AR 72201

California Bureau of Private Postsecondary Education
P.O. Box 980818
W. Sacramento, CA 95798-0818

Colorado Department of Higher Education
1560 Broadway, Suite 1600
Denver, CO 80202

The Office of Financial & Academic Affairs for Higher Education
61 Woodland Street
Hartford, CT 06105-2326

Delaware Department of Education
Higher Education Office
John G. Townsend Building
401 Federal Street
Dover, DE 19901

District of Columbia
District of Columbia Office of the State Superintendent of Education
Education Licensure Commission
810 First Street, NE
2nd Floor
Washington, DC 20002

Florida Commission on Independent Education
325 W. Gaines Street
Suite 1414
Tallahassee, FL 32399-0400

Georgia Nonpublic Postsecondary Education Commission
2082 E. Exchange Pl. #220
Tucker, GA 30084-5334

Hawaii State Board of Education
PO Box 2360
Honolulu, HI 96804

Idaho State Board of Education
650 West State Street
PO Box 83720
Boise, ID 83720-0037

Illinois Board of Higher Education
431 East Adams, 2nd Floor
Springfield, IL 62701-1404
Institutional Complaint Hotline: (217) 557-7359

Indiana Commission on Proprietary Education
Attn: Director of Regulatory Compliance
302 W Washington Street, Room E201
Indianapolis, IN 46204

Iowa College Aid
603 E. 12th Street, 5th Floor
Des Moines, IA 50319

Kansas Board of Regents
1000 SW Jackson Street, Suite 520
Topeka, KS 66612-1368

Kentucky Council on Postsecondary Education
1024 Capital Center Dr. #320
Frankfort, KY 40601-7512

Louisiana Board of Regents
PO Box 3677
Baton Rouge, LA 70821-3677

Maine Department of Education
Complaint Investigator
23 State House Station
Augusta, ME 04333-0023

Maryland Higher Education Commission
6 N. Liberty Street
Baltimore, MD 21201

Massachusetts Department of Higher Education
One Ashburton Place
Room 1401
Boston, MA 02108

Michigan Department of Labor & Economic Growth
Office of Postsecondary Services
Proprietary School Unit Staff
201 N. Washington Sq.
Lansing, MI 48913

Minnesota Office of Higher Education
1450 Energy Park Drive, Suite 350
St. Paul, MN 55108

Mississippi Commission on College Accreditation
3825 Ridgewood Road
Jackson, MS 39211

Missouri Department of Higher Education
205 Jefferson Street
PO Box 1469
Jefferson City, MO 65102-1469

Montana University System
Office of the Commissioner of Higher Education
2500 Broadway
PO Box 203201
Helena, MT 59620-3201

Nebraska Coordinating Commission for Postsecondary Education
PO Box 95005
Lincoln, NE 68509-5005

Nevada Commission on Postsecondary Education
3663 East Sunset Road
Suite 202
Las Vegas, Nevada 89120

New Hampshire
New Hampshire Higher Education Commission
101 Pleasant Street
Concord, NH 03301-3494

New Jersey
State of New Jersey
PO Box 542
Trenton, NJ 08625

New Mexico
New Mexico Higher Education Department
2048 Galisteo Street
Santa Fe, NM 87505

New York
New York Office of College and University Evaluation
New York State Education Department
5 North Mezzanine
Albany, NY 12234

North Carolina
The University of North Carolina General Administration
Post-secondary Education Complaints
c/o Assistance Director of Licensure and Workforce Studies
910 Raleigh Road
Chapel Hill, NC 27514

North Dakota
North Dakota Department of Career and Technical Education
State Capitol - 15th Floor
600 E. Boulevard Ave. Dept. 270
Bismarck, ND 58505-0610

Ohio Board of Regents
30 East Broad Street, 36th floor
Columbus, OH 43215-3414

Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education
655 Research Parkway
Suite 200
Oklahoma City, OK 73104

Oregon Office of Degree Authorization
1500 Valley River Drive, Suite 100
Eugene, OR 97401

Pennsylvania Department of Education
333 Market Street, 12th Floor
Harrisburg, PA 17126-0333

Puerto Rico
Puerto Rico Council on Higher Education
PO Box 1900
San Juan, PR 00910-1900

Rhode Island
Rhode Island Board of Governors for Higher Education
Shepard Building
80 Washington Street
Providence, RI 02903

South Carolina
South Carolina Commission on Higher Education
1122 Lady Street, Suite 300
Columbia, SC 29201

South Dakota
South Dakota Board of Regents
306 E. Capitol Ave, Suite 200
Pierre, SD 57501-2545

Tennessee Higher Education Commission
404 James Robertson Parkway, Suite 1900
Nashville, TN 37243

Texas Workforce Commission
Career Schools and Colleges
101 East 15th Street, Room 226-T
Austin, TX 78778-0001

Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board
1200 E. Anderson Lane
Austin, TX 78752

Utah Division of Consumer Protection
160 East 300 South
Salt Lake City, UT 84111

Vermont Department of Education
State Board of Education
120 State Street
Montpelier, VT 05620-2501

State Council of Higher Education for Virginia
101 N. 14th St., 9th Floor
James Monroe Building
Richmond, VA 23219

Washington Higher Education Coordinating Board
917 Lakeridge Way
PO Box 43430
Olympia, WA 98504-3430

West Virginia
West Virginia Higher Education Policy Commission
1018 Kanawha Blvd E., Ste 700
Charleston, WV 25301-2800
Wisconsin Educational Approval Board
201 W. Washington Avenue, 3rd Floor
P.O. Box 8696
Madison, WI 53708 - 8696

Wyoming Department of Education
2300 Capitol Avenue
Hathaway Building, 2nd Floor
Cheyenne, WY 82002-0050

Unformatted text preview: contributory negligence and comparative fault. Plaintiffs who are more than 50% at fault cannot recover; plaintiffs who are 50% or less at fault can recover, but their recovery is reduced by their proportion of the fault. A plaintiff’s comparative fault is assessed with respect to the conduct of all who contributed to the injury, whether or not they are parties to the suit. 735 ILL. COMP. STAT. 5/2-1116 (2012). Assumption of the risk. Despite the adoption of modified comparative fault, the Illinois Supreme Court has upheld the existence of the “open and obvious danger doctrine” as well as the 2 “assumption of risk” defense, stating that the obviousness of a danger and the plaintiff’s own negligence affect whether and to what extent the plaintiff is comparatively negligent. Deibert v. Bauer Bros. Constr. Co. , 141 Ill. 2d 430, 436-37, 566 N.E.2d 239, 243 (1990). 3...
View Full Document