ABD Waiver Program
In 2010 the Graduate School began offering an assistantship service through the “All But Dissertation” (ABD) Waiver Program. This program offers numerous benefits for faculty and students, but most specifically, it encourages the use of extramural grants in support of students seeking their doctoral degrees. The Graduate School will process, monitor, and approve all students who qualify for ABD waivers.
Some of these benefits include
- Decreasing time-to-degree by offering a set period of five (5) semesters
- Offering a tangible incentive to move students to ABD status
- Motivating students to successfully complete their final defense
- Increasing the PhD graduation number per year with the goal to align WSU with the Association of American Universities (AAU)
Fill out an application [PDF] and return to The Graduate School French Administration 324 (mail zip 1030). Application must be submitted prior the first day of semester you are requesting the ABD waiver (8/16 or 1/1).
- Be formally appointed to a graduate research assistantship appointment, enrolled in 10-18 credits, through the Graduate School.
- Complete all formal coursework on Program of Study
- Complete the preliminary exam by the last day of the semester prior to initiation of the ABD waiver
- Be funded (≥.50 FTE) from competitive extramural grants via graduate research assistantship
- Effective Spring 2018, there are changes to the ABD waiver program for students on extensions for their time to degree. The goals of the ABD waiver program are to encourage the use of extramural funds to support students seeking doctoral degrees and to decrease time-to-degree. In order to ensure program effectiveness, a student on a second or third extension of time to degree is not eligible for an ABD waiver. The eligibility for an ABD waiver of students on a first extension will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
After students qualify, they will
- Be eligible to receive an ABD tuition waiver for up to five academic semesters.
- The PERMS should indicate the Preliminary Exam Completion Date as “Prelim Passed MM/DD/YYYY” in the waiver comments section.
- Waivers will be established at the same values as the current fiscal year Operating Fee Waiver and Non-Resident Waivers value if applicable.
HELPNCU Catalog - October 2017[ARCHIVED CATALOG]
NCU Catalog - October 2017
Quickly locate and find details about NCU degree programs and course offerings using our online academic catalog. Need help? Click the box at the top of any page.
2488 Historic Decatur Rd, Suite 100
San Diego, CA 92106
Scottsdale Service Center
8667 East Hartford Drive, Suite 110
Scottsdale, Arizona 85255
p: 888-327-2877 (toll-free) | f: 844-851-5889
Although every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information in the Northcentral University Catalog, students and others who use the Catalog should note that laws, rules, and policies change from time to time and that these changes may alter the information contained in this publication. Changes may come in the form of government statutes, rules, and policies adopted by the Board of Trustees of Northcentral University, or by the President or designee. More current or complete information may be obtained from the appropriate department, school, or administrative office.
This Catalog is neither a contract nor an offer of a contract. The information this document contains was accurate when it was published and placed on the Internet. Fees, deadlines, academic requirements, courses, degree programs, academic policies, and other matters described in this Catalog may change without notice.
The Catalog is updated regularly. Announcements contained in published materials such as this Catalog are subject to change without notice and may not be regarded as binding obligations for the institution. Students are subject to the provisions of the most recent Catalog; however, if the student maintains continuous enrollment, every effort will be made to ensure the continuity and consistency of his or her degree program. If a student does not maintain continuous enrollment, his or her degree program is subject to change in alignment with the most recent provisions in the Catalog.
Copyright © 2017 / All Rights Reserved